Fireplace mantels can be more exciting than just your typical run-of-the-mill mantels. Why limit yourself to the ordinary, when you can make a dramatic statement by going the extra step. Take a look at this fireplace addition we built a few years back.
Usually in this situation most people just install a standard style mantel, which would be squeezed in-between the two windows. I never liked the look of seeing a mantel ledge crowding or even notched into the window casings.
We opted to go with these fluted pilasters instead. The two 1/2 columns at the fireplace are twice the depth of the two outer columns. They serve the purpose of trimming the fireplace surround, casing out the windows and allowing for a mantel shelf, all at the same time. I believe that bringing in and including both the windows in this fireplace millwork detail makes a dramatic statement and definitely adds alot of architectural interest to this master bedroom. We have taken what would have otherwise been, just another fireplace mantel, to something that gets remembered.
The actual mantel shelf is made from a build-up of several stock mouldings, and everything is topped off with a two-piece crown moulding which runs through-out the entire bedroom. This design also includes a recessed compartment for a TV and components over the fireplace. This was installed before flat screen TV's became the norm, and having large recessed cavities for CRT TV's was no longer necessary.
You can see a few more pictures and close-ups of this project in our photo albums, and we also have before & after pictures of this particular job on our Master Bedroom Fireplace - Before & After Page
- Crown Mouldings ...any style or combination
- Chair Rails ...any style or combination
- Baseboards: new or replacement ...any type
- Shoemouldings: luan, oak, pre-finished, etc.
- Window Casings & Sills ...any style or combination
- Interior Doors: Replacement, Re-framing, Resizing and Repairs ...any style
- Railwork & Stairways ...all designs, wood types and styles
- Balustrades, Bannisters, Handrails, Newels, Volutes, Easings
- Wainscot: Beadboard, Panel, Raised Panel, Flat Panel, Wall Panel
- Shadowbox Wainscoting & Mouldings, etc. (paint or stain)
- Columns: Square, Round, Fluted, Paneled, Pilasters, 1/2 Columns, etc.
- Closets: Shelving, Pantry closets, Linens closets, Organizers
- Decorative Wall Panels, single, double, etc., any moulding
- Built-In Bookcases: Offices, Libraries, Closets, Entertainment Centers
- Mantels: Design - Build - Install ... (paint or stain grade)
- Fireplace Surrounds & Mouldings
- Custom Cased Openings: Fluted, Paneled, Arched, Plain
- Entabulatures, Window Cornices & Valances
- Arches, 1/2 Walls, 1/2 Wall Bookcases, Architraves, etc.
- Coffered Ceiling Treatments ...any design (paint or stain grade)
- Ceiling Mouldings, Ceiling Panels
- Beadboard Ceiling Treatments
- Niche Cabinets, Built-Ins
- Kitchen Remodeling & Renovation, Cabinet Installations
- Bathroom Remodeling & Renovation
- Finished Basements, Game Rooms, Exercise Rooms, Rec. Rooms, etc.
- Wine Cellars Installed, Complete climate controlled rooms, Closet conversions
- Wet Bars, Coffee Bars, Kitchenettes, Breakfast Bars
- Cedar Lined Closets: tongue & groove, panels, etc.
- Stair Tread & Railing Replacements, Forged Balusters Upgrades
- Porches: Ceilings, Columns, Rails, Flooring, Lattice, Stairs
- Pergolas & Trellises & Planters
- Sundecks: PT, Trex, Composites, etc.
- Gazebos, Arbors
- Garages: attached, detached, conversions
- Carports: repair, conversion
- Exterior Doors: Replacement, Storm Doors, French Doors, Sliders, etc.
- Replacement Windows - Vinyl , Wood, etc.
- Door Hardware Installation: (Interior & Exterior)
- Attic Pull Down Stairs Installed
- Hardwood Flooring Installed: (unfinished, pre-finished, laminate)
- Exterior Cornice Work
- Rotted Wood Replacement & Repair
- General Carpentry