Is the application of an applied panel moulding under a chair rail a real wainscot?
I have been asked this question on more than one occasion, and I always have to say no. A real wainscoting, in my view consists of lining a wall with wood of some type.
Even though I have placed some shadowbox installation photos under the album "Wainscoting", and even use the term wainscoting when talking about shadowboxes, there is a definite difference.
Some different types of wainscoting are:
- a wall paneled wainscot
- a flat paneled wainscot
- a raised panel wainscot
- a beaded panel wainscot
- a beaded wainscot
All these types can be made from any species of wood, and have many varying design differences within each style. Wainscoting can be any height, but usually is either designed at 36" or 60" tall, or can accent the entire wall.
Besides the protection a wainscot treatment gives you from wall damage and everyday wear and tear, it can transform an ordinary space into a beautiful inviting room. The various different options available, allow you give your home dramatic architectural impact, that can never be attained with other types of wall treatments, such as wallpaper or chair rail alone.
Entering a home that has been decorated with a wainscoting treatment in the foyer, and possibly up the staircase, creates a first impression that will have lasting effects on anyone that comes into your home. Is it any wonder why all your upscale builders utilize wainscoting or shadowbox treatments in there models. Because they know that decorating with mouldings sells homes!
But even using a chair rail and then using a panel moulding to define applied panels, with the right paint job, can make an enormous difference in a rooms appearance. It is a lot more economical, and seems to be what most homeowners choose.
If you live in the Northern Virginia area and would like to check into having an area of your home transformed with wainscoting of any type, please don't hesitate to call us anytime. We will be glad to set up an appointment, offer advice and provide you with a no obligation proposal.
Thank You, Roger Beesley
- Crown Mouldings ...any style or combination
- Chair Rails ...any style or combination
- Baseboards: new or replacement ...any type
- Shoemouldings: luan, oak, pre-finished, etc.
- Window Casings & Sills ...any style or combination
- Interior Doors: Replacement, Re-framing, Resizing and Repairs ...any style
- Railwork & Stairways ...all designs, wood types and styles
- Balustrades, Bannisters, Handrails, Newels, Volutes, Easings
- Wainscot: Beadboard, Panel, Raised Panel, Flat Panel, Wall Panel
- Shadowbox Wainscoting & Mouldings, etc. (paint or stain)
- Columns: Square, Round, Fluted, Paneled, Pilasters, 1/2 Columns, etc.
- Closets: Shelving, Pantry closets, Linens closets, Organizers
- Decorative Wall Panels, single, double, etc., any moulding
- Built-In Bookcases: Offices, Libraries, Closets, Entertainment Centers
- Mantels: Design - Build - Install ... (paint or stain grade)
- Fireplace Surrounds & Mouldings
- Custom Cased Openings: Fluted, Paneled, Arched, Plain
- Entabulatures, Window Cornices & Valances
- Arches, 1/2 Walls, 1/2 Wall Bookcases, Architraves, etc.
- Coffered Ceiling Treatments ...any design (paint or stain grade)
- Ceiling Mouldings, Ceiling Panels
- Beadboard Ceiling Treatments
- Niche Cabinets, Built-Ins
- Kitchen Remodeling & Renovation, Cabinet Installations
- Bathroom Remodeling & Renovation
- Finished Basements, Game Rooms, Exercise Rooms, Rec. Rooms, etc.
- Wine Cellars Installed, Complete climate controlled rooms, Closet conversions
- Wet Bars, Coffee Bars, Kitchenettes, Breakfast Bars
- Cedar Lined Closets: tongue & groove, panels, etc.
- Stair Tread & Railing Replacements, Forged Balusters Upgrades
- Porches: Ceilings, Columns, Rails, Flooring, Lattice, Stairs
- Pergolas & Trellises & Planters
- Sundecks: PT, Trex, Composites, etc.
- Gazebos, Arbors
- Garages: attached, detached, conversions
- Carports: repair, conversion
- Exterior Doors: Replacement, Storm Doors, French Doors, Sliders, etc.
- Replacement Windows - Vinyl , Wood, etc.
- Door Hardware Installation: (Interior & Exterior)
- Attic Pull Down Stairs Installed
- Hardwood Flooring Installed: (unfinished, pre-finished, laminate)
- Exterior Cornice Work
- Rotted Wood Replacement & Repair
- General Carpentry